Biltmore

Raul and I took a long weekend to Asheville, NC in October. Shame on all of you for keeping this glorious place to yourselves without sharing! It was lovely. We flew in and went straight to the Biltmore. This baby is the largest private home in America and was built by George Vanderbilt during the Gilded Age. I want to be a Vanderbilt circa 1898.

The entrance fee is a bit pricey ($60!) but it’s definitely worth it. You can easily spend hours here, touring the home and sprawling gardens outside.

snack break

A free wine tasting at the winery is included with your ticket. I think you know the key words that got my attention there. We drive to the winery (the Biltmore sits on 8,000 acres!) and happily bounce inside and present our tickets at the counter, outstretched hands eagerly awaiting a fresh wine glass. The woman smiles sympathetically and asks us if we have “checked in” with the gentleman across the way. We apologize and mosey over, confident that this added step will add nary a 5 minutes to our adventure.

He smiles and looks at our tickets, and points to a long hallway. We must go down that cavernous tunnel to get stamped and get our glasses. Not a problem. Until we get to the corner and see that the line begins down the OTHER hallway. Hmm. A bit of a pause, but we head that way. We soon realize we have to round the corner because the line is wrapping around the building, up and down some stairs, over a dog, and THEN you get your glass. We give up and head to the premium wine tasting area for $10 for 3 tastings.

My advice? Skip that too. It just didn’t impress. After being in Napa, things rarely do. Sad.

Instead, we close shop and head into town for dinner at Bouchon, which we were very, very excited about…

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Asheville, North Carolina, Travel and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Biltmore

1. Lynda Fleming says:

Thanks for sharing your adventures with your peeps that are stuck at home! Love reading your stories and seeing pictures of different places you’re visiting…and especially what you’re eating! Makes me hungry. You definitely make your writing come alive. Appreciate you taking the time!

2. Kelly says:

Looking forward to hearing about what you ate at Bouchon! I just looked at the menu- portabello tatin sounds like blissss 🙂

3. Marc Isaacs says:

I’ve got a North Carolina trip in the works for early next year, and you just sparked a few ideas. Thanks!

4. Eric Hemati says:

Erin!! I love your writing – great style and good choice of content. I’ve been to the Biltmore estate – and actually lived in Asheville for a summer in 2001. Talk about a great spot! I’m headed back to Austin in December and will be spending the night there with a really great friend of mine on my way back. I might see if he wants to grab some wine there that night!

Keep the good stuff coming!

5. toni says:

Have wanted to take a trip to the Carolina’s for a while.. With your insight I am booking now.. Thanks for sharing..t

6. MEG says:

It looks like a french castle! Why don’t we ever get invited??

7. DC Campbell says:

With snack breaks like that I don’t think i’d see that much!!

8. Vanessa says:

Eric,
    You have been posting writtings from your travels for years and you always make me feel like I am right there with you…. I love reading about your travels thru your eyes.

Keep writting

9. Marie says:

I remember hiking in the NC mountains and seeing this HUGE castle. It was the Biltmore and I thought “one day I will go there”. Well no more putting it off. Your blog is in my bookmarks.

10. Alyson says:

I’m so jealous! It sounds like an amazing trip!!

11. Elaine says:

Been to Ashville, but never seen Biltmore. You’ve inspired me. =)